Monday, June 23, 2008

Pentel Hyper-G




The Pentel HyperG 0.7 is a refreshing pen to look at after the Frixion. There is a nice diamond pattern on the inside of the barrel, which provides some nice subtle eye candy from the light reflections. The rubber finger grip is also nicely shaped, with subtle scallops in the design, leading to an interesting feature on the top of the pen point.

The tip unscrews to get the refill out, and Pentel did a nice job of indexing the threads so that the chrome tip always stay's in the same orientation as you remove and replace it.

The Clip is metal, and firmly attached to the pen, so it's unlikely to break.

Now, onto the important stuff. This leaves a Pentel KLR7 refill. it leaves a nice, deep black line, with the occasionally ink flow startup problem. No globs or skipping that I've seen. There isn't much writing feedback when using this, the pen point slides over the paper with an almost greasy feel. I'm not sure if this would be the same in an 0.5 size point or if it's due to the ink used.

Overall, I'd give this a B. Writes nicely, and is pleasant to look at.


Purchased as a single for $1.99

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Pentel EnerGel line of pens? How do you feel they compare?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I bought a box of twelve. I thought they were defective as they wouldn't work. On closer inspection I found that there was a small blob of sealant? on the tips. I suppose this is to stop them drying out on the shelf. Once I removed the "blob" they work fine. In the UK each pen cost 12.65GBP.