Saturday, August 30, 2008

Pilot Precise V5 RT




This is pretty nice. Not much feedback from the pen point as you write, but a nice dark line behind, without gaps and blobs on the line. Startup is good, and there isn't a problem with blobs of ink accumulating on the point as you write. The pen itself is pretty good looking, The body is ink colored, as is the soft rubber grip. It's soft, but not too sticky, so you can slide it in and out of a pocket without difficulty. It uses a BXS-V5RT cartridge, and it's held securely in the pen as you write, so there isn't a lot of wiggle in the pen tip as you write.




The Pen Clip is a bit cheesy, and wiggles a bit. The bump at the end on the clip is created by folding the edges over, leaving a triangular hole on the inside that can and does grab a pocket, making it difficult to remove, depending on what you've clipped it to. I had a real problem with a knit shirt, and ended up with a snag in the shirt :-(

9 comments:

FelipĆ£o G said...

The V5RT is awesome, and I do agree that the clip can be a little bit of a nightmare and it's wobbly, but the pen itself is great. I'm also going to try out a V7RT

David M said...

This is a great pen for writing Chinese or Japanese, as long as your not forced to write too small. The smoothness of the liquid ink flows great and it's a very dark black. I went and ordered 12 as they were half price for a limited time. 5/5

IvanR said...

The barrel eventually cracks right at that clip area. At least my last two blue ones did. :(

Anonymous said...

Mine cracked there, too. Held together though:)

Patsy said...

Hey, you are performing a good service. I do not like pens with black ink that comes out charcoal grey. I will bookmark your blog.
~Lorna

David said...

Lorna:

I'm in agreement. If it's a black pen, then I want black ink out of it. Blues are a little more difficult to assess, but black is pretty easy.

Dave

Anonymous said...

If you don't like the body of the pen, the refill will fit/work in most of the other Pilot gel pen styles. My refill rides in a G6 body and works great.

Anonymous said...

I love the way it feels in my hand and the way it writes, but I have the same problem as Ivan.

There must be some kind of defect.
It seems to unscrew a little from the barrel frequenty, so I screw it back on, which causes it to crack eventually.

I can buy replacement ink cartridges separately, but I don't think there is a way to buy a replacement barrel.

:(

Unknown said...

I've used a lot of pens from the supply room here at work over the past 13 years, but this one is my new favorite!