Monday, July 24, 2006

Uni-ball Signo bit 0.7

Staples/$1.99 single price

Not a bad cheap pen. This is a capped Gel pen, which writes pretty well. Using Ampad's Gold Fibre pads, there was little feathering on the page and the ink dried quickly. If I rub my fingers over the ink just after writing it, there was some smearing, but if I gave it 10 to 15 seconds, then there was no smearing. I left the cap off the pen for a couple of hours, and it started up nicely without any skipping.

The grip is partially rubber, and partially ridged. It was comfortable to write with. With the cap not posted, it's a nice small pen to write with. The pen unscrews, and the ink cartridge comes out, although I'm not sure if refills are available. Looking at this, it's a fairly attractive pen, with some nice texture to it.

One downside is that it's a little scratchy when writing. As I rotated it around in my fingers, this came and went, so there was a single spot on the pen point that was scratching. This is on a sample size of 1, and so I'm not sure that this is the case for all of them.

I generally prefer a much finer point, so I'd have to say that this isn't a pen that I'd really use for day to day use. If this were available in a fine or extra fine point, I'd be likely to use one.

2 comments:

Brent said...

this is my favorite pen. writes very smooth and is fantastic
they are discontinued so buy the up

B2-kun said...

Plus its barrel works as a pretty efficient pencil lengthener/holder. Stock up while you can. Staples can special order the dozen boxes from their online catalog.