Monday, August 14, 2006

Uni-ball Signo RT Gel 0.38

This is more along my lines of a very fine pen to use. Most of the writing I did with this one was in a moleskine notebook, and it did a very nice job. As I mentioned, I tend to write very fine, and this fine point was just the thing to use. It started up immediately, and left a nice dark line. The ink didn't smudge on the paper. I bought this in a package of 4, with 2 black, 1 blue, and 1 red. I'm using all the colors, and they all leave a nice dark line of the appropriate color.

I have 2 complaints about this pen. First, the ink cartridge doesn't contain much ink. It's nice and long, but the plastic that is used in the cartridge is thick enough to support my car :-). Seriously, it's a very thick wall tube, and it contained enough ink for filling up about 30 pages on a regular sized moleskine, plus some other miscellaneous writing. Not an impressive amount of ink.
The other complaint is that the pen point exploded and leaked ink onto a shirt of mine. Certainly not the first time, and it probably won't be the last. None the less, it was annoying



I'd certainly use this pen again, but I'd have to say it wasn't as nice as I was hoping, primarily because of the two faults I've mentioned. It certainly wrote nicely though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pen exploding is a deal-breaker.

Does the 0.38 signify the point size? That would be very fine, if it did.

Anonymous said...

For a different data point, I've used dozens of UBSRT038s and never had one explode. Yes, that's the size of the ball point.

They are quite nice, and I use them for travel. In my office, I use Lamy Safari extra-fine nibs with Noodler's Ink.